Search operation ended in Genoa, bridge death toll rises to 43

Genoa bridge collapse

The death toll in Tuesday's collapse rose to 43 with confirmation the bodies of three family members were the last of the reported missing people.

Italian state radio said the body of a 30-year-old man was found in rubble near the site, as three more bodies were found in a auto overnight.

An engineering study commissioned by Italian motorway operator Autostrade a year ago warned about the condition of a bridge that collapsed this week in Genoa, the head of the university department that conducted the study said on Friday.

It said they were three family members, including a nine-year-old girl, who had been travelling for a holiday when their auto, with about 30 other vehicles, plunged when the bridge gave way.

All those listed as missing have now been accounted for, but Stefano Zanut, a fire brigade official, told Sky TG24: "Our work continues in order to have the full certainty that nobody has been left under the rubble".

Speaking after the funeral, top Autostrade executives voiced profound sadness for the victims and said the company would set up a fund of about $780 million for their families.

Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte, center, walks past relatives of some of the victims of a collapsed highway bridge at the end of their funeral service, in Genoa's exhibition center Fiera di Genova, Italy, Aug. 18, 2018.

Families of 19 of the dead had their loved ones' coffins brought to a fairgrounds' pavilion for the funeral led by Genoa Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco.

Italy's populist government has accused Autostrade per l'Italia, the firm that managed the Genoa motorway bridge, of putting profits before safety and failing to spend enough on maintenance - a charge the company vociferously denies.

"The collapse of the bridge was a gash in the heart of Genoa, it's a deep wound", the archbishop said in his homily.

While Mr Cozzi pointed the finger at the state's past management of infrastructure, Italy's new government has blamed the collapse on Autostrade per I'Italia, which managed the Genoa bridge along with nearly half of Italy's motorways. Prosecutors say 10 to 20 people might be unaccounted-for and the death toll is expected to rise.

Massimo Ferrero, the president of Sampdoria, one of the city's two top-flight clubs, had called for all of this weekend's Serie A games to be postponed as a mark of respect but only the Blucerchiati's clash with Fiorentina at the Luigi Ferraris, and Genoa's meeting with AC Milan at San Siro have been called off.

The bridge's operator, Autostrade per l'Italia, is under mounting pressure from politicians and share traders, with the government threatening to terminate contracts and impose heavy fines.

It will be the company's first public appearance since the disaster.

The dead also include children, three Chileans and four French nationals.

The Italian Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport announced the creation of an inspection commission to carry out technical checks and analysis in an investigation into the cause of the collapse.

Related News:



Most liked

Rafa Benitez confirms Newcastle’s penalty hierarchy after Kenedy miss
Alas, Kenedy's day took another turn for the worse as his tame effort from the spot was easily parried by keeper Neil Etheridge . The Brazilian, seemingly under the nose of referee Craig Pawson , inexplicably kicked out at Spanish midfielder Victor Camarasa.

Manafort jury sent home for the weekend
Meanwhile, in remarks to reporters at the White House , Trump commented on the trial. Jury lists are considered to be public unless a judge bans any access to them.

Manchester City's Kevin De Bruyne facing three months on sidelines
City are a really good side, great manager, some great players, a way of playing that they all know about. It's a tough season, short recovery, they say let's go and we are in the competition.

Liverpool's Ragnar Klavan set for £2m Cagliari move
At times it is going to be hard to unsettle back fours and actually get in behind them but he creates space for others. Liverpool centre-back Ragnar Klavan is close to joining Serie A side Cagliari in a £2m deal.