US Moves 100 Coffins to Inter-Korean Border for War Remains

President Trump Slams Mainstream Media Over N. Korea Summit Coverage

The Trump administration has identified the missile test engine site that it says North Korea has pledged to destroy, but the president's latest comments about resolving the nuclear standoff have raised new questions about what concessions Pyongyang has made.

The White House on Friday released a notice detailing Trump's extension of a measure first declared by former President George W. Bush's signing of an executive order on June 26, 2008.

The ban on transfer of any US assets by North Korea's leaders or its ruling party has been extended or expanded several times by both President Barack Obama and Trump himself, in response to North Korean missile tests and other actions. And this declaration specifically cites North Korea's nuclear weapons as the reason for the emergency and as a direct threat to United States national security.

North Korea still possesses hundreds of ballistic missiles, which have not been dismantled, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said.

Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo have said that all USA sanctions will remain in force for now. The bloody battles finished with a stalemate and a 1953 armistice that resulted in the division of Korea into the North and South. In fact, before I was elected, everybody assumed we were going to war.

The two sides, however, still have to negotiate the terms under which the North would give up its nukes and win relief from sanctions - a goal that has eluded US administrations for a quarter-century. "No longer - sleep well tonight!" "There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea", Trump wrote on Twitter June 13. The insults and nuclear brinkmanship alarmed other world leaders, who feared war and a new nuclear arms race.

U.S. Forces Korea spokesman Col. Chad Carroll also said Saturday that the military sent 158 metal transfer cases to a U.S. air base near South Korea's capital and will potentially use them to send the remains home.

The United States led a group of 16 nations in fighting alongside South Korea against North Korea, China, and the Soviet Union.

However, asked on Wednesday if he could "put his finger on" any steps North Korea had taken to dismantle its nuclear weapons program, Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon: "No, I'm not aware of that".

Officials had announced on Monday that planning for Freedom Guard had been suspended in line with Trump's decision to halt what he called United States "war games" in South Korea.

North Korea has furiously objected to the exercises for many years, branding them provocative and a rehearsal for invasion.

About 7,700 U.S. military personnel still remain unaccounted for from the 1950-53 Korean War, U.S. military data show. Some could be lifted as negotiations progress.

Related News:



Most liked

A controversial Chicharito goal gave Mexico a win over South Korea
Son Heung-min scored a consolation goal for South Korea in injury time, sending a powerful shot past goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa . Mexico so far is one of the teams that has a ideal run in the campaign and has conceded just one goa.

France strides into knockout stage, Mbappe makes history
It proved enough for France to maintain their lead at the top of Group C and shore up a ticket to the last-16, Fifa.com reported. Gareca said he was pleased that, after such a long World Cup absence, Peru had played on equal terms with two European teams.

Israeli PM's wife charged with fraud, breach of trust
Netanyahu, a high-profile presence at her husband's side throughout his lengthy time at the helm, has denied any wrongdoing. The charges against Netanyahu include fraud and breaches of trust.

AMC Theatres' $20 monthly subscription plan rivals MoviePass
It also allows customers to buy tickets in advance on the AMCTheatres.com website or the smartphone app. MoviePass has been all over the news in recent months , but AMC might be trying to steal the spotlight.