McGregor: 'I regret my actions'

Conor Mc Gregor Khabib

Irish mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor returned to court in NY on Thursday and expressed regret for his role in a melee at an April event to publicize a series of Ultimate Fighting Championship fights at a Brooklyn arena.

McGregor spoke outside court after a brief hearing Thursday.

McGregor told the court he would be negotiating a plea deal and was informed his next hearing was scheduled for next month.

Conor McGregor was up in court today to face charges including three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief. UFC fighter Michael Chiesa suffered a facial laceration, while fellow fighter Ray Borg suffered a corneal abrasion in the melee. He told JOE: "As expected, Conor's team will be back in Court on July 26, likely to enter a plea".

"I regret my actions that led to today", the statement read. "I understand the seriousness of this matter and I'm hopeful to get it resolved soon".

The 29-year-old Ireland native last fought in the UFC in November 2016, when he scored a second-round TKO victory over Eddie Alvarez. Khabib Nurmagomedov won the UFC lightweight championship, vacated by McGregor due to inactivity, at UFC 223 in April after defeating Al Iaquinta via unanimous decision.

A prosecutor said plea negotiations are continuing.

But after a press conference at the Barclays Center promoting the fight, McGregor and an entourage of more than a dozen people got into the arena and vandalized a bus filled with other fighters as it was leaving, the NYPD said.

It was highly speculated McGregor's rampage was sparked because UFC president Dana White's made a decision to strip him of the lightweight title.

McGregor is facing 12 total charges for his involvement surrounding the incident at Barclays Center, including one felony count. He posted a photo Wednesday of himself and fellow Irish MMA fighter Cian Cowley, who joined him in the Barclays Center melee and was also charged, about to board a private jet, presumably to NY.

Related News:



Most liked

White House aide apologises for 'special place in hell' comment
He called on Trudeau to apologise to Trump. "I have a good relationship with Justin Trudeau ", he said. "I own that. Deron Bilous, Economic Development and Trade Minister in Alberta's NDP government, said Canada shouldn't back down.

‘Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’ Will Have Every Smash Bros. Character
The lineup also features characters previously available as third-party DLC on the Wii U and 3DS, like Bayonetta and Ryu. The game will release this year on December 7 for Nintendo Switch , but you can pre-order it right now for $59.99.

Liverpool target Thomas Lemar set to sign for Atletico
Monaco have already sold Fabinho to Liverpool this month, and they are set to make further profit with the sale of Lemar. Now it is Griezmann signing the autographs and carrying the hopes of a nation on his shoulders.

Trump deepens G7 divide with call to readmit Russian Federation
Yet in a testy phone call with Trudeau, Trump quipped, "Didn't you guys burn down the White House?" referring to the War of 1812. Aides to the president insist that the president is looking forward to the trip.